Two friends backpacking through Asia. Serving together, surviving together, seeing the land and the people. Follow the footprints of two disciples as they embark on their adventure.

Thursday, February 22, 2007

Modern Galatia

Okay I usually don't rant about stuff but I've been thinking about travelling. What is the point? Seriously have we thought about is a Christian community at all. 'Therefore go into all the world,' then we stop... no, actually it says, 'and make disciples of all nations.' So why do we continually squander our money on selfish pride inducing flings. Perhaps that is harsh but there are many people who will go on a trip (expereince) to say that they have done it; 'I've been there', 'I've done that', 'I've seen that'.

I myself need to apologize to the Lord who has given many opportinties that I have missed. We can be blinded by the excitement of a trip, the experience, as it were. And we know that it 'leads to growth'. Unfortunately we can easily turn these growth experiences into idols. We worship the experience for what it gives us, denying God opportunities he gives us to serve and minister along the way.

Are we a modern form of Galatia? They used circumcision as a spiritual banner, to impress others by means of the flesh. Let us not take pride in our accomplishments, our experiences. Instead let us take pride in the works the Lord has done and is doing, whom we seek to serve. As Paul says, 'May I never boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, whrough which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world."

I am not denying the value of travelling. I am merely stating that I think there is little value in travelling for the sake of travelling. But then this is what we are taught by our Pluralistic society right? Take, consume, indulge... It is better to live life, try something new. How postmodern have we become? Unfortunately the captivity of western culture defines how we live as young people instead of the Bible, the Word of God. May we seek to challenge culture where it is wrong, and learn to understand the lasting joy that comes from living in faith and obedience for the Lord.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home